The first JFL Northwest kicks off tonight at venues across Vancouver, with local, national, and international comedians putting on hilarious performances!
But with so much to see and do, what shows should you spend your hard-earned comedy time on? The Fictionals are here to help you decide with our JFLNW Picks, shows guaranteed to tickle your funny bone.
Comedy Short Shorts at Vancity Theatre
- The Date: Thursday, February 18 at 8:30 p.m.
- The Show: JFL Northwest and Vancouver International Film Festival present An Evening of Comedy Short Shorts, a delightful hodgepodge of original Pacific Northwest submissions and curated comedy pieces from up and down the Left coast.
- The Hook: Hosted by our good friend Cam Macleod, and includes shorts by Hip.Bang!, Andrew Barber, Brian Cook, Steph Tolev and our Scott Antifave!
The Lady Show at Little Mountain Gallery
- The Date: Friday, February 19 at 8:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
- The Show: The Lady Show features comedian and actress Robyn Edwards (FOX’s Second Chance), Fatima Dhowre (Sirius XM Radio), Morgan Brayton (OUTTV’s Morgan Brayton and Other People) Katie-Ellen Humphries (Winnipeg Comedy Festival) and Erica Sigurdson (CBC Radio’s The Debaters). Joining these 5 regular Lady Show ladies is the very funny Sophie Buddle (Just For Laughs).
- The Hook: The Lady Show is a hilarious night of sketch comedy, monologues, standup comedy and awkward dance numbers. These ladies know how to rock the mic.
- The Date: Saturday, February 20 at 7:00 p.m.
- The Show: International YouTube sensation Miranda Sings is bringing you a hilarious night filled with comedy, hit songs, magic tricks, dramatic readings of hate mail, and never before seen videos.
- The Hook: The quirky superstar has over 60 million views on YouTube and has performed her one-woman show to sold-out crowds all over the world.
- The Date: Sunday, February 21 at 9:00 p.m.
- The Show: The Sunday Service is Ryan Beil, Caitlin Howden, Kevin Lee, Aaron Read, Taz VanRassel, with musical director, Emmett Hall. Sometimes with Mark Chavez (The Pyjama Men). Featuring special guests Peter ‘n Chris Show (Just For Laughs, 3 time CCA winners for best sketch troupe).
- The Hook: With over 20 Canadian Comedy Award Nominations, a CCA Best Improv Troupe Award in 2012, and international recognition, The Sunday Service presents a fast paced and unique take on traditional improv.
- The Date: Monday, February 22 at 8:00 p.m.
- The Show: Comedy-Horror Radio performed live on stage by Vancouver Theatre and Fringe greats. Phantom Signal is an homage to creaky old radio anthologies of yesteryear – a blend of old-school horror and new-school humour designed to entertain and/or eat you.
- The Hook: Our Daniel Chai is this month’s special guest. Spooky and sweet!
Janeane Garofalo at The Rio Theatre
- The Date: Tuesday, February 23 and Wednesday February 24 at 8:00 p.m.
- The Show: Janeanue Garofalo has an illustrious career, including being a cast member of both The Ben Stiller Show and SNL. She also played Paula on “The Larry Sanders Show”, and appeared on The West Wing.
- The Hook: The outspoken activist, spoken word performer and stand-up comedy entertainer will be a perfect fit in our favourite Vancouver theatre.
10 SPEED at Vancouver TheatreSports League
- The Date: Wednesday February 24 at 7:30 p.m.
- The Show: Created and hosted by Hip.Bang! (Canadian Comedy Award nominees), 10 SPEED features 10-minute sets from the best in Canadian improv, including Hip.Bang!, The Sunday Service, VTSL, Matterhorn and Little Mountain Improv.
- The Hook: For this special JFL Northwest edition of 10 SPEED, disruptions may include a children’s choir, horse-riding cats, a dramatic reading of a scene from legendary sitcom Dharma & Greg, and a hot dog cannon.
The Hero Show at The China Cloud
- The Date: Thursday February 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- The Show: The Hero Show presents the best in Vancouver solo sketch comedy, including characters, monologues, readings, story telling, musical performances and more.
- The Hook: Hero Show often rides the line between comedy and performance art, and promises to deliver something strange and hilarious every time.
- The Date: Friday February 26 at 7:00 p.m.
- The Show: Canadian-born Jeremy Hotz is no stranger to Just For Laughs. He has performed multiple times at JFL’s Montreal festival and on national JFL tours including his sold-out What A Miserable Tour This Is in 2008 and Magical Misery Tour in 2013.
- The Hook: Hotz has been named Best Performer by the Globe and Mail and Best in Fest by the Montreal Gazette.
The Gentlemen Hecklers Present: Road House at Vancity Theatre
- The Date: Saturday February 27 at 9:30 p.m.
- The Show: The Gentlemen Hecklers provide live, hilarious commentary for the best bad movies! Eric Fell, Patrick Maliha, and Shaun Stewart are Vancouver’s masters of movie riffing, making so-bad-they’re-good movies even better by talking you through them.
- The Hook: The Patrick Swayze-feature Road House is in the Hecklers Hot Seat.
Lewis Black at Hard Rock Casino
- The Date: Sunday February 28 at 7:00 p.m.
- The Show: Known as the king of the rant, Lewis Black uses his trademark style of comedic yelling and animated finger-pointing to skewer anything and anyone that gets under his skin.
- The Hook: Lewis Black voiced Anger in Disney-Pixar’s Inside Out. That alone is reason enough to see the stand-up, actor and author live.