The spooky season is just around the corner, and The Fictionals have been invited to perform our Halloween-themed Paranormal Hilarity show at Vancouver Halloween Expo 2018 on Saturday, October 6!
The Fifth Annual Vancouver Halloween Parade and Expo runs from October 5 to 7 at UBC Robson Square, and we’re onstage on Saturday from 5:15 to 5:45 pm in Theatre C300! Come out in costume for a chance to win prizes, grab some candy, and laugh along with some eerie comedy! Plus enjoy other great entertainment that’s fun for the whole family! Tickets on sale now!
The Grand Parade starts at 11 am along Howe St (Drake to Smithe), then runs along Smithe St (Howe to Granville), and finishes on Granville St (Smithe to Davie). An expected 100,000 spectators will line the parade route, so get there early to get a good viewing spot. The parade is free to watch, so have fun!
Theatre for the masses! Vancouver Fringe Festival 2018 returns from September 6 to 16, featuring 99 shows by hundreds of entertainers in over 700 performances!
Part-theatre and part-party, there’s something for everyone at the Vancouver Fringe. There are mainstage shows, BYOV events, live music at the Phillips Fringe Bar, and more to enjoy. With so much to see and do, what shows should you spend your hard-earned Fringe time on? The Fictionals are here to help you decide with our GYFO Picks, all featuring members of our #ImprovFamily.
- When and Where: September 6 to 16 at Firehall Arts Centre
- The Show: Veteran musical improvisers Jennifer Pielak and Peter Abando use the present-moment, their incredible chemistry, and their storytelling skills to let inner voices out to play. This duo will make you wonder how they got inside your head in this silly, honest, and introspective musical that celebrates vulnerability and how weirdly the same we are.
- When and Where: September 6 to 16 at Studio 1398
- The Show: Nakatomi Plaza. Christmas Eve. 1988. John McClane is on a mission to save his wife from German terrorists led by the debonair Hans Gruber… while singing parodies of hit songs from the ‘80s. District 13 Presents (Hunger Games Musical Trilogy) is back with an all new action-packed musical ready to blow your mind. Yippee-Ki-Yay!
- When and Where: September 6 to 16 at Firehall Arts Centre
- The Show: Putting the JOY in feminist killjoy! Sketch, stand-up, monologue, satirical news, and more starring Diana Bang (Assaulted Fish, The Interview), Morgan Brayton (CBC’s The Debaters, Vancouver Fringe Festival Critics’ Choice Award), Fatima Dhowre (Winnipeg Comedy Fest, JFL NorthWest), and Katie-Ellen Humphries (Vancouver Comedy Joke of the Year Award, The Debaters).
- When and Where: September 6 to 16 at Carousel Theatre
- The Show: The improvised church service for a religion made up on the spot! A brand new comedy from multiple time (2013/16/17) Vancouver Pick of the Fringe award winner Travis Bernhardt. Come sing, laugh, and pray together.
- When and Where: September 6 to 16 at the Improv Centre
- The Show: Award-winning comedy duo Hip.Bang! (Just For Laughs, Comedy Central, The Irrelevant Show) returns to the Vancouver Fringe with a new immersive comedy about modern surveillance and invasion of privacy. Please arrive early to sign the mandatory waiver and to prepare your belly for some deep, satisfying laughs.
- When and Where: September 7 to 15 at The Cultch
- The Show: From the ever-popular Neil Labute, a biting tale of love, lust, and betrayal. When shy and sheltered Adam meets art student and would-be vandal Evelyn, the two are immediately drawn to each other. Before long, Evelyn adds a dose of chaos and rebellion to Adam’s life with her boldness, fierceness, and the revelation of one shocking secret.
- When and Where: September 6 to 15 at the Improv Comedy Institute
- The Show: Dyck Spacee is a spontaneous improvised radio play that combines recognizable Film Noir tropes with a dash of Science Fiction. Listen as a curious new mystery-adventure unfolds every show, inspired by audience suggestions. You’ll get shady villains, red herrings and hilarious reversals of gender stereotypes. A little bit of everything with something for everyone!
- When and Where: September 7 to 15 at False Creek Community Centre
- The Show: Inspired by art house cinema and a penchant for the fantastically bizarre, Virginia Jack creates a brash and compelling one-act play on the spot. Two improvisers create characters together, and build an entire play from a single audience suggestion. The result is sometimes dark, often beautiful, and always hilarious.
- When and Where: September 7 to 15 at Red Gate Revue Stage
- The Show: Gossamer Obsessions is sketch comedy unlike any you’ve seen before. Warped by the winsome world, two curious narrators offer hilarious, spine-winding tales of mirth, malady, and mirthful malady. Gossamer Obsessions has previously headlined the now-defunct Vancouver Sketch Festival and toured the continent to great acclaim.
- When and Where: September 7 to 15 at Waterfront Theatre
- The Show: Ruby Rocket is an intoxicating, intoxicated female private detective who always gets her man. Except when she doesn’t. In this hilarious dark comedy, Stacey Hallal improvises with a rotating cast of brilliant improvisers from Vancouver and the Fringe, transporting you into 1930s Cashigo City – a city as corrupt as it is dirty, which is saying a lot. Because Cashigo City is filthy. Jon Timm provides stunning projected visuals that will keep you completely mesmerized.
All tickets for the Vancouver Fringe Festival shows are $15 plus a one-time $7 membership fee. Some shows have special half-price performances. For more information visit: www.vancouverfringe.com
Comedy and Literature collide at Granville Island Brewing on Thursday, October 18 when The Fictionals and Vancouver Writers Fest present Words In Motion!
Improv X Literature features some of Vancouver’s funniest comedians and finest poets teaming up for a night of laughs! The performers will be inspired by your suggestions, classic literature, and modern bookshelf hits. Plus the GIB Taproom will be staying open late to serve you!
Doors at 7:30 pm, show starts at 8 pm. Tickets: $7 in advance, $10 at the door.
Joining us for comedy onstage is our long-time friend Ian Boothby (Sparks!, Exorsisters, Simpsons and Futurama Comics). Plus there will be special performances by Duncan Shields (Vancouver Nerd Slam Champion, IWPS Haiku Champion), Angelica Poversky (Vancouver’s Top 24 Under 24, TD Scholar, Richmond’s 30 under 30), RC Weslowski (Canadian Individual Poetry Slam Champion, Mashed Poetics) and Jillian Christmas (Artistic Director of Versəs Festival of Words, Vancouver Poetry Slam Champion)
So come celebrate comedy, writing and spoken word with all of us at Granville Island Brewing Taproom (1441 Cartwright St, Vancouver). Doors at 7:30 pm, show starts at 8 pm, and tickets are just $7 in advance and $10 at the door! Invite your friends and come on down!